I start back at university tomorrow. After an interesting and eventful 4 month summer break, I’m not sure if I’m ready to go back to class. This is the start of my second year, therefore the furthest I’ve gotten in my three attempts at university. But last year was not all smooth sailing. This year I’ve dropped a degree (going from a double to a single degree) and now have to sort out my course progression. It’s all easy to fix if you know what you are doing… I’m working on learning what to do.
Something I’ve learnt to do at university is how to take breaks. Mini holidays, study breaks, road trips, anything to make it feel like I’m getting away from studying and the real world. It has to be done, otherwise 13 weeks of classes and assignments becomes unbearable. So I’ve put together my top 6 study break ideas…things that help me refresh my brain, body and soul, to be able to keep going with the semester.
1. Exercise: Go for a run/wakeboard/yoga/walk around the supermarket and get groceries. Anything to get moving and get away from the the books and computer.
2. Baking: Cook a cake, biscuits, muffins, anything snack like. Allows the brain to slow down and chill out, without shutting off completely, plus you end up with study break snacks for the next couple of days.
3. Beach: Jump in the car, on a train or bus and head to the beach for a few hours. Sound of the waves, salt water crashing over you and soaking up some vitamin D sun baking = rejuvenation for the soul.
4. Tea-time: For a quick break, to peel the eyes away from the bright lights of a computer screen, make a cup of tea. Far better for you than coffee, but can still keep you awake… just don’t use chamomile or you’ll be asleep in no time.
5. Nature: Sit in a park, go for a bush walk or paddle down a river. Just being outside in the fresh air and natural light clears the mind and awakens the senses.
6. Road-trip: Drive somewhere different. It only has to be a few hours away, but get away overnight for a mini trip/holiday. Sleep in your car, in a tent, crash on a friends couch or floor. Just be somewhere else!!
The beauty of studying in this day and age, is that everything is online. Going away doesn’t mean leaving all the study behind. It just allows you to change your surroundings, do new things, continue living and in between you can still work on assignments on your laptop, complete readings on your iPad/eReader, or reply to emails for group assignments from your phone. In some ways, technology has made it easier to keep living life, getting out and exploring, having adventures, instead of being stuck at home for 13 weeks straight every semester.