The best things in life are free… well not really, but it’s definitely the simple things that are often the best. After baking a chocolate cake today, I was reminded of the wonderful moments that as adults we can often over look in our rush of everyday life.
Today I licked the spoon clean…
And the bowl and the beaters. I’m sure chocolate cake taste better before it is cooked. Then there’s the icing on the cake, except that half the icing never makes it to the cake, because licking the spoon is far more fun. Reminds me of being a kid and baking with mum and my sister. Fighting over who got to lick the spoon and who got to lick the bowl. But mostly reminded me that as adults we are normally to busy to appreciate these little moments. Normally I’d be to busy to even bake a cake. Lucky for me I have had six weeks at home to reunite myself with these wonderful moments of exploration. Spending time just enjoying little things that really have become the best things in my life.
My list of the top 10 simple moments that really have been the best things in my life, now that I have stopped and noticed them…
1. Licking the spoon clean after icing a cake
2. Getting my hands dirty planting seeds and seedlings in new pots
3. Standing in the rain and the feeling of each drop splashing on my face
4. Watching a spider repair its web, adding new strands of web, where they have broken away or been damaged
5. Experimenting with new and old recipes when cooking lunch and dinner, instead of eating the same thing I eat every other week
6. Catching up with family and friends that I haven’t seen in a very long time
7. Sitting at the beach
8. Writing miniature short stories
9. Reading books I wouldn’t normally give time too. I’ve moved away from reading travel narratives and trying out some classics at the moment
10. Sitting by a river watching the world go by